CHAMPION STRATEGIES – PUBLIC SPEAKING WORKSHOP – JULY 30, 2021
Speech Ideas for Student Council Roles
Delivering the Speech
Once you’ve prepared your speech, practicing a few times alone and in front of an audience can help you get ready to deliver your speech with confidence. Whether your speech is lighthearted and funny, or serious and to the point, there are a few things to keep in mind. During your speech:
- Make eye contact with those you are speaking to and don’t focus too heavily on one person.
- If you make a mistake, keep going. No one knows what your speech is supposed to sound like.
- Practice some deep breathing exercises or mindfulness beforehand to calm nerves.
- Visualize yourself doing your speech well the morning of it.
- Remember to take deep breaths throughout your speech and speak a bit slower than you normally would as nerves can cause you to speak more rapidly.
Student Council Speech Jokes
Infusing a bit of humor into your speech can help you better connect with your audience, while making your speech really stand out. You can try using silly jokes, sarcasm, or inside jokes that only those who attend your school would get. You can think about:
- Saying in a serious tone, “Settle in, I’ve got about three hours worth of material to get through.”
- After your speech saying, “Okay, now for my speech.”
- Using a teacher or principle as a funny example such as, “I’m as passionate about organization as (insert teacher) and as energetic as (insert teacher) after he/she’s finished his/her coffee.
- Saying, “I care about this position as much as (teacher) cares about (insert book, movie, or learning principle that teacher speaks about a lot).
- Saying, “I was really nervous to give this speech so I’ve been practicing a lot in front of my (insert pet) and he/she said it could use some work, so I guess I’ll just give this my best shot.”
- Using self-deprecating humor by saying, “My annoying need to be organized and scheduled would make me a great fit for this position.”
Make Your Election Speech Memorable
Whether you use one of the samples listed here or write an entirely new speech, be sure to put a personal touch on the speech. By focusing on what makes you unique, your passions and your skills, you will show confidence in front of your classmates and let them see a side of you they may not have seen before. Whether you win or lose the election, you can hold your head high and know you gave the speech your best.
Top of Form
Funny Intro Ideas for Student Council Speeches
When you’re running for student council, you ultimately need the popular vote from your peers to win. Since your campaign speech is geared toward other teens, not teachers or parents, you can get a lot more creative and open with a seriously funny intro.
Humorous Speech Intros for Each Position
Great speech ideas for student council roles include funny anecdotes or plays
every automatically graded exam because I can’t bring myself to damage the pencil by using it. I love writing so much, I’ve got the wrist of a 92-year-old secretary and I’m only 16!
Comical Treasurer Speech Opener
If time is money, we’re all going to be very rich after this speech. I’m not sure who is responsible for the exchange rate, but I hope it’s a good one. As Treasurer, I take money lingo very seriously, so I’ve crafted my speech to optimize the amount of time we turn into money for our class.