HARDISON’S TIPS – OCTOBER 11, 2021 – INTERVIEWING FOR SALES MANAGERS
The #1 takeaway from the 2021 Mid-YearCopier Industry was the resurging job market. Hiring in this industry has never been busier, more competitive or more challenging that it is right now. That makes streamlining the hiring process more important than ever!
Today I am covering Sales Managers:
Questions for Employers Before Interviewing Sales Managers
- What is the base salary range for this position?
- Is this a Selling Sales Manager position? If so:
- What is the personal quota for this position? Is there a ramp-up period?
- What is the personal commission structure for this position?
- Are there any bonuses in place based on quarterly or annual performance such as OEM spiffs, President’s Club awards, etc.?
- What is the territory range for this position?
- Does this territory have any existing accounts to work with? If so, what is the ratio of existing accounts to net-new business?
- What is the team override? Is it based on total revenue or gross profit?
- What would a candidate’s first-year total compensation be in this role?
- Do you offer benefits?
- Do you provide a car allowance, cell phone, and/or laptop?
- What is the current size of the sales team to be managed?
- How many additional sales reps would you like the new Sales Manager to bring on?
- What is the current sales team’s quota?
- Is the team currently at-plan, why/why not?
- What is the sales team’s current territory?
- Will the Sales Manager be managing a fully in-office, fully remote, or hybrid sales team?
- How has your company expanded your portfolio to keep up with advancing technology? Has that evolution accelerated during the pandemic?
- Are you open to relocating candidates? Would you offer any assistance?
- What is the typical interview process for this role? What is your hiring timeline?
- Does your company do a formal background check and drug screening?
- What is your company culture like? What are you seeking in a candidate to fit with the rest of your team?
Questions for Sales Managers Before Their Interview
- What would it take for you to consider a new opportunity?
- What are you looking for in your next position?
- How many years of management experience do you have?
- What was your career path to management?
- For your most recent management position, what was your sales team’s size when you started? How many new sales reps did you hire? How many did you let go?
- What are your numbers and/or those of your sales teams, both throughout your career and during the most recent month/quarter?
- If you and/or your sales team are at-plan or above, what skills have helped you achieve this success? If you and/or your team are not at-plan, why not?
- During the pandemic, how much of your/your sales team’s sales were net-new business?
- Have you and/or your sales team earned any sales achievement awards?
- What sets you apart from other candidates?
- What are your most successful sales strategies?
- What are your most successful management strategies?
- Do you have a non-compete? If so, how will it affect your ability to move to a new company?
- How quickly would you be able to switch to a new position?
- Are you open to relocation? If so, is your household on the same page?