HARDISON’S TIPS – OCTOBER 12, 2021 – INTERVIVING FOR SERVICE TECHNICIANS
The #1 takeaway from our 2021 Mid-Year Update was the resurging job market. Hiring in this industry has never been busier, more competitive or more challenging that it is right now. That makes streamlining the hiring process more important than ever!
Welcome to my Interviewing Prep series, where I share the most important questions employers and candidates need to have answered before the first interview. Today, we’re covering Service Technicians:
Questions for Employers Before Interviewing Technicians
- What is the base salary range for this position?
- Do you offer benefits?
- Do you have any bonus programs in place?
- Do you provide a company cell phone, laptop, and/or tools?
- Do you provide a company vehicle?
- If you don’t provide a vehicle, what is your mileage reimbursement rate or car allowance amount?
- What is the territory range for this position?
- Are you looking for candidates with specific OEM certifications?
- Are you open to candidates with different OEM certifications?
- Are you looking for candidates with networking certifications?
- Are you open to candidates with basic networking experience/skills without certifications?
- Are you open to relocating candidates? Would you offer any assistance?
- What is the typical interview process for this role? What is your hiring timeline?
- Does your company do a formal background check and drug screening?
- What is your company culture like? What are you seeking in a candidate to fit with the rest of your team?
Questions for Technicians Before Their Interview
- What would it take for you to consider a new opportunity?
- What are you looking for in your next position?
- What OEM, networking, or software solution certifications or transcripts can you provide?
- If you are meeting your company’s benchmarks, what skills help you achieve this success? If you are not meeting those benchmarks, why not?
- Have you earned any service achievement awards?
- What sets you apart from other candidates?
- What was your most noteworthy service call at your current position?
- What are your most successful customer service strategies?
- How would you improve your current service program?
- Do you have a non-compete? If so, how will it affect your ability to move to a new company?
- How quickly would you be able to switch to a new position?
- Are you open to relocation? If so, is your household on the same page?