HARDISON’S TIPS – JUNE 22, 2021 – WHAT IS YOUR WIND DOWN RUTINE AT THE END OF THE DAY?
Haven’t given much thought to your end-of-day routine? Maybe you should. “How you finish the workday is very important,” says Michael Kerr, an international business speaker. “It can set your mood for the rest of your day; it may impact your personal relationships, overall level of happiness, and how well you sleep that night; and it will set the stage for the next day.” Here are five ways to set your next workday up for success.
- Stay focused. Whether you’re working from home, in the office or in the field, you already have plenty of potential distractions – don’t add watching the clock! Use your work or phone calendar to alert you when it’s time to wrap start your workday wrap up.
- Update your to-do list. Why wait until morning when you can set your priorities today? Taking time to assess what needs to be done tomorrow allows you to end your day knowing tomorrow’s game-plan. When you start work the next day, you don’t have to waste time figuring out what needs to be done: you’ve already decided.
- Reflect on your accomplishments. “Taking even one minute to review what you achieved can give you a sense of accomplishment, and on a particularly trying and busy day it can remind you that you got more done than you realized,” says Kerr. “Happiness research tells us that doing a simple routine like this, and taking the time to reflect on what you accomplished, is a key way to boost your overall level of happiness.”
- Say goodnight to your colleagues. While it may be tempting to quietly sign off or slink out the door, don’t underestimate the power of goodbye. A quick “goodnight” conveys friendliness and accessibility, and it also gives your coworkers a heads up that you’re calling it for the night.
- End your day at a reasonable time. Working long hours doesn’t necessarily make you a better worker, but it will tire you out and potentially make you less productive tomorrow. We all know to take the risks of burnout seriously after 2020. If it isn’t truly necessary to work late, go rest. You’ll thank yourself tomorrow.
Work – Life balance is a bigger focus than it was 15 or 20 years ago. Getting to the top is Important in any career but living longer and doing what one wants to do is a bigger factor for more workers as milieus dominate the work force.